Prop 30 extension – we need to encourage all members to participate in the Prop. 30 re-authorization signature-gathering campaign. CTA is trying to collect 150,000 signatures statewide. April 18th is the deadline to turn in so let’s get this done!!!!!
WE HAVE A LOT TO LOSE
UNLESS WE RENEW PROP 30!
- Instructional materials for our students
- The kinds of supplies we need to do our job right
- Programs that benefit our neediest students
- The kinds of salaries that attract and retain high quality teachers
LAST PUSH EFFORT!
- Every signature turned in earns a raffle ticket to win a Kindle Fire!
- Every full petition turned in gets a $5 Starbucks card
(In addition to the 7 raffle tickets)
Here’s some great resources for your chapter and your members – First of all, check out resources available at:
- www.cta.org/Campaign2016 – to talk about the initiative with their fellow members and in their communities.
- http://www.cta.yourvoterguide.com/#/search – all politics are local and, if you’d like to know who the teachers in your community would like for you to vote for, go here! All you have to do is enter your address and that site will deliver a personalized voting guide
- www.cta.org/optout – would you like to know more about the opt-out movement and what we can/can’t say to our parents and students about standardized testing? Go here to find out! Also, the testing subcommittee would like to remind us that, this year, scores from the smarter balanced test will set the cut scores for next year, therefore, they urge to make sure that students do not opt-out this year.
Finally, would you like to know some more about the many accommodations available for the Smarter Balanced test? This chart does a great job of breaking it down!
- www.cta.org/social – and, finally, a new social directory of all local chapters and departments
Day of the Teacher – is May 11, 2016, and the theme is “California Teachers: Leaders of Learning.” ESP Day is May 17, 2016. Posters and celebration resources will be going out to local chapters soon so be sure to keep an eye on your mailbox!
Vergara – CTA is expecting an appeals court decision in regards to the Vergara case. We expect a positive ruling by May 25th, 2016. If you’d like to know more about this issue, go here!
Would you like to know more about restorative justice and explore just how schools can service all of our kids?
Would you like to learn how a group of committed individuals can change the world?
Come to the CTA office on May 7th to do all of this and more – simply click on that picture for more details!
Annual Online School Library Survey
The survey home page is at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/lb
- Tip: Print the survey questions to gather answers before transferring them to the online survey
- The password to access the survey (typed just as it appears here) @YourLibrary
- After entering the password, use the Begin Survey link (rather than the ENTER key)
- The survey will be open until April 30, 2016, but why not complete it now?
- To print a copy of what you submit, select the link to Survey Results from Current and Prior Years on the survey home page. Select your school’s record for 2014- 15. What you will have before you is a concise, printable version of the information you just submitted.
Here’s a great training on closing the discipline gap!
Have you heard about the social security offset?
If you have not, please check out this. The inequities with educators and Social Security have been a fight for many years and this letter discusses many of the issues facing our members as we work to overcome this inequity. This isn’t going to be an easy fight but, together, we shall overcome!
If you have any questions, or if you have any feedback on any issues in this report, please click on the names of your State Council Reps to share your thoughts!