It’s a new year with new opportunities to fight for the education our students deserve, improve public education, and strengthen our union! Below are some goals we’ve heard from fellow educators with some tips on how to achieve them.
Goal 1: Historic win for our students with Schools & Communities First.
In 2020 we have the chance to bring much needed funding to our schools and communities. It won’t be easy and it will take educators coming together across California to win for our students. Schools & Communities First will bring $12 billion to our classrooms and communities. Here’s how you can kickoff 2020 to help ensure this vital measure makes it to the ballot and passes on Election Day:
- Spread the word! As an educator, your voice is critical in this fight. Think about how $12 billion has the power to transform our schools for our students. What would a fully funded classroom look like to you? Share your ideas on social media using the hashtag #SchoolsAndCommunitiesFirst! Film a video about it here. And stay tuned for details about our digital week of action the week of January 27.
- Help gather signatures to ensure Schools & Communities First gets on the November ballot. Reach out to your local chapter leader today to help.
Goal 2: Provide quality education to every student.
Students are at the heart of everything we do. The new issue of California Educator is full of ideas from fellow educators on how to provide exceptional learning experiences for our students. Here’s a few highlights:
- California’s Teachers of the Year bring joy and creativity to the classroom.
- Jennifer Barry guides special ed students in work and life skills.
- James Gensaw helps Native American youth connect to their culture.
- Brothers Dennis and Daniel Gibbs‘ science center is setting a STEM career path for students.
- Hope Floats in Crescent City – an inspiring must-read!
Interested in some in-person training and workshops? Be sure to register for CTA’s Good Teaching Conference! We will host one in both Northern California (Feb. 7-9) and Southern California (March 16-18) this year.
Goal 3: Make time for self-care.
With students to take care of and teach – on top of all life’s other commitments – we know It’s tough to put yourself first. But burn-out is real and it’s so important to take time to prioritize our own well-being, too. A “Digital Detox” is always a great start! These podcasts are full of ideas, too and perfect for your morning commute: