CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability Insurance from The Standard
Disability insurance helps protect your paycheck if you’re unable to work due to injury, illness (including mental health conditions and substance abuse), pregnancy or childbirth. Benefits are paid directly to you and can be used for expenses health insurance doesn’t cover.
- Replaces up to 80%1 of your daily income2
- Starts paying benefits after you are out of work for 7 consecutive workdays3
- Covers any preexisting conditions once you are enrolled and work for 10 consecutive workdays
- Includes additional Student Loan and Cancer Benefits for eligible members
- Includes access to the NEW Summer Benefit4 provided by CTA
Additional Benefits at No Extra Cost
With CTA-endorsed Disability insurance, you may qualify for additional benefits on top of any other disability benefits:
- Student Loan Benefit: Active CTA members approved for a disability claim with an active Student Loan may be eligible for an additional benefit of up to $400/month (maximum of $2,400, not to exceed the balance of the student loan) to approved claimants with an active student loan.
- Cancer Benefit: Active CTA members approved for a disability claim due to cancer may be eligible for an additional benefit of up to $400/month (maximum of $2,400) for an approved disability claim due to cancer.5
- NEW Summer Benefit: $500 per week (maximum of $4,500) during the months of June and July for eligible members who become or continue to be Disabled with a Disability date on or after September 1, 2022.4
These benefits are paid directly to members on top of disability benefits from The Standard and can be used to pay for everyday expenses like student loans, rent/mortgage, or childcare.
Do I Really Need Disability Insurance?
Most school districts don’t provide Disability insurance to their employees and most CTA members aren’t eligible for California’s state disability insurance program. This means you may be left with only sick leave to protect you if you are unable to work due to illness, injury, pregnancy or childbirth. The CTA-endorsed Disability insurance plan was designed to help CTA members get quality paycheck protection at group rates.
How to Apply
CTA members can apply any time with satisfactory proof of good health.
There are multiple ways to apply: